Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Spinner Card Tutorial!

Today our fabulous Design Team Member Kim Nath is sharing with us how she makes her wonderful spinner cards! I know the one she made for this month's release was amazing, I can't wait to learn how to do that too!

SPINNER CARD TUTORIAL
PROJECT MATERIALS

STAMPS – SPOT ON SUMMER

PAPER – CARD STOCK, YOUR CHOICE AND STYLE OF PATTERNED PAPER (I USED SHE SELLS SEA SHELLS FROM THE DIGI CHICK)

CRAFT KNIFE, BRAD, EYELET, RULER, DIMENSIONALS, BUTTON, E6000 ADHESIVE

Hi everyone! I am sure most of you have seen spinner cards made using pennies and dimensionals. I developed a different way that allows a smaller, more obscure opening for the spinner.



STEP 1

Assemble the portion of the card that you want the spinner element to be placed on. I wanted waves for my turtle so I used my cricut and an SVG file from SVG CUTS to create some waves.

STEP2

Using a ruler and pencil, I made markings 1/8th of an inch from the wave line. Since I will be using small brads and eyelets, my opening will be 1/8 inch wide. If you would like to use larger brads/eyelets you will have to make the opening wider to accommodate them.

STEP 3

Using a craft knife, cut along the pencil line.

STEP 4

Grab your brad and eyelet.

STEP 5

Insert the brad through the back of the opening in the cardstock. The prongs of the brad should fit easily but the head shouldn’t be able to fall through the opening.

STEP 6

On the front of the cardstock, thread the eyelet on to the prongs of the brad and bend the prongs as shown. Make sure the prongs are completely flat on not bent too far over the edge. The image will be attached to the prongs so you want the surface to lay flat against the image. Work the brad/eyelet back and forth along the opening to make sure it flows easily. If it is a little tight in some places just move it back and forth a couple times to create space or use the craft knife to open it up a little.

STEP 7

Flip the piece over and add the dimensionals, making sure to leave space for the brad to move easily.

STEP 8

You will need a background piece to attach the spinner part to. Note – my brads weren’t shown in this pic because I took it before the front was assembled, however, the brad/eyelet should be in place at this point.

STEP 9

Attach the background to the front spinner part.

STEP 10

Using the E6000 glue, attach the image to the brad/eyelet. I like to put the glue directly on the prongs of the eyelet (don’t use too much this glue is great for a strong attachment) so that there isn’t a chance that the glue will get on the card portion. Allow it to dry completely before moving

STEP 11

Place the spinner portion on to the card base, and have fun playing!


11 comments:

Jackie said...

This is so much fun! I can't wait to try this method! Thank you for sharing this with us!

craftymom205 said...

Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing. Love the card.

The Other Patti Sue said...

Wow Kim you rock! Awesome tutorial!

a Seeker of the TRUTH said...

Beautiful card. Love the turtle. Truly inspirational tutorial. I hope to find time to try this method. Thanks for sharing
Happy crafting!
Julie

slbt17 said...

WOW! What a great idea! This is wonderful!
Sandra

Anonymous said...

wow this is awesome!!

Anonymous said...

What a great tutorial and idea for a card!! I love it!

Curt in Indy said...

This is spectacular! Wow what an impressive card and a great tutorial. I'm very impressed with this! Super job. Best, Curt

WickedPixie said...

Wow! Wonderful tutorial! Thank you! :-)Traci

Sinead said...

I love it! I'm going to give this one a try!!

Susanne said...

Excellent tip! Thank you for sharing this idea!