Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Shades of Green and Blue

Spring is finally showing itself here in Utah, we've broken the 75 degree mark and the tulips and crocus are shooting up and showing their pretty, colorful faces. And best of all, the lovely flowering trees are all in bloom. These gorgeous trees are the inspiration for the card I'm sharing with you tonight.

This card was made using the tree and a greeting from the AI Nature's Heritage set. They were stamped in black stazon on white card stock. Then I sponged Wasabi Green along the bottom quarter of the card and Brocade Blue along the top quarter of the card. After that, I masked the top and bottom of the card with pieces of torn masking paper, leaving the center (where the tree is grounded) uncovered. This area was sponged with the green first and then a bit of the blue along the bottom area to add depth. The mask was then removed and a bit of Summer Sun yellow was sponged along the top and bottom of the ground area that was just sponged. The tree is sponged in green and I filled in with green from the bottom, lightening my sponging as I moved up and adding a bit of the blue on the bottom and corners....again, for depth. This is how I got the 'rolling hills' look. I also filled in the same way with the blue sponging from the top, leaving the center area very light. To finish off the center panel, I used a small bit of white and pink acrylic paint and a tooth pick to dot flower blossoms onto the tree and under it. I like to use paint for this rather than a gel pen because the light colors just seem to pop more because they are more opaque. The card was finished off with Blush blossom, Brocade blue (stamped with the texture stamp from the AI Pond Friends stamp) and Wasabi green card stocks and a bit of blue and green swiss dot organdy ribbon.

12 comments:

Stampin_Melissa said...

Kristin, this is so very lovely!

Donna C. said...

Where can I find those stamps online? I LOVE them. You did such a wonderful card--I am blown away by how wonderful it is!

Michele Kovack said...

Gorgeous Kristin!

Dorinda said...

This is really beautiful! Thanks for the Fairies *wink*

Velta said...

Kristin ~ This card is just Beautiful! Your sponging technique is something I will HAVE to try cause I have this stamp...Thank you very much! I've made some cards with my Enchanted Fairies, Pond Friends and Fairy Whimsey. I just love these stamps and have had so much fun making cards with them...Will be posting soon.

Donna Baker said...

this card is gorgeous! love all your sponging & the rolling hills

Nikki Bond said...

This is truly gorgeous! Love the colors and the layout! {SMILES}

ChristlMC said...

That is beautiful - I'm amazed at the background. Thanks for the inspiration - it's beyond my skill level but I can always hope!

Lynn said...

So pretty! Love the colors and the background you created.

Josette said...

What a beautiful card. I just learned of your stamps. What a great inventory you have. I have just fell in love with them.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!!

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

This is just stunning! I love how it has bright beautiful colour but is soft at the same time. WOW! :0)