Monday, May 11, 2009

Paper Piecing Tutorial

I have a special treat for you today. Toni Armstrong, another of our INKgirls has prepared a fun tutorial for you on paper piecing. I really think you will enjoy the results of this technique and hope you will give it a try for yourself. Toni is a joy to workwith and we are lucky to have her on our team.And when you are done here be sure to visit Toni's blog to enjoy loads more if ther talented creations and fun musings.

Paper Piecing Tutorial

Paper piecing is a technique that can add lots of dimension to your stamped creations. Another great thing about paper piecing is that you can easily match the colors on the piece, because you’re using in most cases the same papers for your paper piecing as you are on the rest of the card. Want to know how to do it? Here goes…

Start with a stamp set that has large sections that can be used for the paper piecing. The “Think Big” set by Artful INKables is perfect for paper piecing. The sections we are going to work on in this tutorial are the little girl’s shirt and jeans.


Here is a photo of the card I’m going to make. You’ll see that the stamped image has been stamped simply with black ink (I like VersaFine Onyx) on a white panel.


I chose kraft paper and some patterned paper (“Basic Grey Wisteria”) for my paper piecing, and I stamped the image on each of the 2 papers.



Next, cut out the pieces you’re going to use. In this case I cut out the jeans from the kraft paper and the shirt from the patterned paper. Attach them to the main image as shown.


Color the rest of your image (including the paper pieces, if you’d like), and embellish the front of the card. Here’s the end result:

11 comments:

Velta said...

Perfect tutorial!!! This is such an enabler...I gotta try this one out :)

Anonymous said...

Wow this is just stunning! Great work on the paper piecing, I love it!

Janet said...

Great tutorial, Toni!
Do you use micro-tipped scissors (like Cutterbee) to cut out your piecings?

toners said...

Hi Janet, yes, I use the Fiskars micro-tipped scissors, and sometimes a craft knife if something is a lot more intricate :) Great question!

Stampin_melissa said...

Holy Smokes, I never thought to color the pieced paper parts (her pants)! Wow, looks great!

Maureen said...

Wow, what a great effect! Thanks Toni! I shall have to get out my teenie tiny scissors now... ;)

Becky G said...

Great tutorial! Fabulous card!

Hugs~Becky

Elena said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial, Toni! It looks so much fun and easy to do!

Sandra said...

Fabulous tutorial, thanks for sharing.
Here is a card I made featuring your wonderful stamp a card for my niece

Linda Crowder said...

I love this tutorial and I gave you a shout out on my blog, Any Cruel Critics? I will be making a project using paper piecing this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration.

Joanne Travis said...

What a fabulous tutorial, I love the end result.